Footnotes

1.

The city council.

2.

Herodian style ashlars were used both before and after the time of Herod the Great (37–4 B.C.).

Endnotes

1.

R. W. Hamilton, “Excavations Against the North Wall of Jerusalem, 1937–38,” Quarterly of the Department of Antiquities of Palestine 10 (1940), pp. 1–57.

2.

Basil Hennessy, “Preliminary Report on Excavations at the Damascus Gate, 1964–6,” Levant (Journal of the British School of Archaeology in Jerusalem) 11 (1970), p. 22.

3.

In the summer of 1985, we excavated the inside of the western tower. It is not as well preserved as the eastern one. Although its northern side stands the full 36-foot height, the southern side is entirely missing. There are signs (remains of arches) of the tower having been divided into two floors, and it too was used as an olive-oil factory. A tunnel, built by us, now connects the two towers under the street, and one can visit both towers and the Roman square without having to go above ground.