This is confirmed by Clermont-Ganneau’s other observations in the northern part of the Dome of the Rock, where he found bedrock in general a meter below the floor of the Dome of the Rock. In 1959 Bellarmino Bagatti (Recherches sur le site du Temple de Jerusalem (Ier–VIIe siecle) [Jerusalem: Franciscan Printing Press, 1979], pp. 28–29) noticed bedrock at several places below the floor during repair operations conducted at that time.