In 1917 two archaeologists, Theodor Wiegand and Karl Wulzinger, carried out additional investigations and published an impressive three-volume work that appear between 1921 and 1925. Archaeological activity of a more limited scope took place between the two world wars, when Lebanon was under French control. The Frenchmen Pierre Coupel and Pierre Anus, along with the Lebanese Haroutune Kalayan, were in charge of these preservation and reconstruction activities, especially at the Bacchus and Venus temples.