Interest in this famous monument, with its long inscription of King Mesha of Moab (see 2 Kings 3:4–5), was still fresh in 1883. It had been on display for less than a decade in the Louvre, where it was brought in 1875, seven years after its discovery at Dhiban, east of the Dead Sea. See the following BAR articles: André Lemaire, “‘House of David,’ Restored in Moabite Inscription,” BAR 20:03; and Siegfried H. Horn, “Why the Moabite Stone Was Blown to Pieces,” BAR 12:03.