The largest tower unearthed in the ancient land of Israel. The exposed foundation of the tower is 50 feet long and 20 feet high; originally it was probably 150 feet long and could have supported a mudbrick superstructure another 40 feet or more in height. The upper courses of the foundation’s left corner were robbed during the Roman period.
Extending left from the tower is a wall that connected the tower to the gateway 60 feet to the south. The area to the right of the tower is unexcavated. The 1200 meter long inner wall built around Gezer in about 1650 B.C. incorporated perhaps as many as 25 towers like this one.