The Double Gate: The Crusaders walled up the eastern opening of the 20-foot-high Double Gate and built their entrance tower in a zigzag shape to protect the Double Gate’s western opening, which they used (see plan). In this fine reconstruction drawn by Count Melchior de Vogue in 1864, we can see how the arches looked before the Crusader tower blocked them. The tower wall is distinguishable by a rectangular gray tint overlay. The architectural features to the right of the tinted area are those still visible today (see photograph). Everything beneath and to the left of the tint is now hidden by the remains of the Crusader tower.