Photos by Garo Nalbandian

“ONE GOD, Blessed be his name forever” is inscribed on this fifth–sixth-century A.D. pseudo-Ionic capital, which was discovered in 1879. The first part, on one side, is in Greek; the second part is in Samaritan script. Some scholars believe the first side to be a reflection of Deuteronomy 6:4, “Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one,” and the second side to be a reflection of Psalm 72:19, “And blessed be his glorious name forever.”