Suzanne F. Singer

LEFT FOR DUD. According to Procopius, two exceptional columns stood before the door of the Nea. In the Russian Compound, northwest of Jerusalem’s Old City, a huge, partially quarried column was discovered in 1860, still attached to bedrock. It apparently cracked when only half-finished and was left behind as unusable. Archaeologist Yoram Tsafrir believed this column may have been intended for the Nea’s entrance.