PAUL WILLIAMS / IMAGEBROKER / ALAMY STOCK PHOTO
In the Late Bronze Age, Hattusa (near modern Boğazkale, Turkey) was the capital of the Hittite empire until its destruction around 1200 B.C. Massive fortifications ringed the ancient city. The double wall guarding the upper city had five gates and more than 100 towers. The King’s Gate, situated in the upper city’s southeast wall and dated to c. 1500 B.C., was once fitted with wooden doors and used in religious processions. Its name derives from the sculpted figure on the inner gate, whom excavators first thought must have been an important king. However, they later identified the figure as a Hittite war god. Standing more than 7 feet tall, the figure holds an ax and wears a horned helmet, tunic, and crescent sword tucked into his belt.