A song. A psalm of the sons of Korah.
1. a Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised,
b in the city of our God, His holy mountain.
2. a Beautiful in its height, it is a joy to all the earth,
b Mount Zion, peak of Zaphon,
c city of the great King.
3. a God through its bastions
b has become known as a stronghold.
4. a For, look, the kings assembled,
b advanced together.
5. a When they saw, indeed, they were dismayed,
b were panicked, were shaken.
6. a Trembling seized them there,
b shaking, like a woman in labor.
7. a With an east wind
b You smashed the ships of Tarshish.
8. a Just as we heard;
b now we see.
9. a In the city of the Lord of hosts,
b in the city of our God,
c may God keep it firm-founded forever. Selah.
10. a We have glimpsed, O God, Your steadfastness [or loving kindness]
b in the midst of Your temple.
11. a Your name, O God, like Your praise,
b [reaches] to the ends of the earth
c Your right hand is filled with justice.
12. a Let Mount Zion rejoice,
b let the daughters4 of Judah exult
c because of Your judgments.
13. a Go round about Zion, encircle it,
b count its towers.
14. a Note its ramparts,
b scale5 its bastions,
15. a So you may recount
b to the last generation:
16. a That this is God, our God, for ever and ever.
b He will lead us evermore.a