See Hershel Shanks, “The Tombs of Silwan,BAR 20:03.


See Robert Deutsch, “Tracking Down Shebnayahu, Servant of the King,BAR 35:03.



David Ussishkin, The Village of Silwan: The Necropolis from the Period of the Judean Kingdom (Jerusalem: Israel Exploration Society; Yad Izhak Ben-Zvi, 1993).


Only a bit of the sunken panel survived on the right side. A number of other panels intended for inscriptions, but for unknown reasons never inscribed, have been found. A similar sunken panel has recently been highlighted by Ronny Reich and Eli Shukron in the City of David at the opening to Tunnel IV. Part of the panel on which the famous Siloam Inscription is inscribed is also empty, as if the surviving inscription is incomplete. Ronny Reich and Eli Shukron, “The Date of the Siloam Tunnel Reconsidered,” Tel Aviv 38 (2011), pp. 147–157.


It is true that the word “cursed” in this inscription is spelled with an additional letter, a wow, so-called plene spelling in which the wow serves as a vowel between the two resh’s. Both spellings were used at this time.


Full citations may be found in Gabriel Barkay, “The Tomb of Pharaoh’s Daughter—A Reassessment,” in Eyal Meiron, ed., City of David—Studies of Ancient Jerusalem (Jerusalem: Megalim Institute, 2011). In each case, “curse” is spelled without the wow, so-called defective spelling.


There may have been another monolithic tomb, in Jerusalem’s northern necropolis, north of Damascus Gate; see Gabriel Barkay, “Three First-Temple Period Burial Caves North of Damascus Gate and the Date of Jerusalem’s Northern Moat,” Cathedra 83 (1997), pp. 18–20 (Hebrew).


Nahman Avigad, Ancient Monuments in the Kidron Valley (Jerusalem: Bialik Institute, 1954 [Hebrew]).


For more details, see Barkay, “The Tomb of Pharaoh’s Daughter—A Reassessment.”